Sunday, December 20, 2009

2009 Reading Wrap-up

What a great reading year 2009 was. I read 135 books, finished all 11 of my 2009 my challenges, made good progress on my two on going challenges, read several books out of my comfort zone and all in all had a great time.

My absolute favorites this year were:
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski review
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Shaffer & Barrows review here
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith review here
Thanks For the Memories by Cecelia Ahern review here
The Help by Kathryn Stockett review here
Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck review here
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris review here
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery review
Dog Days by John Levitt review

Some of my other favorite books this year were:
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger review here
Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith review
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson review
The Lost City of Z by David Grann review here
Bless Your Heart, Tramp by Celia Rivenbark review here
Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson review here
Brewster's Millions by George Barr McCutcheon review here
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck review here
Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez review here
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith review here
Fire Me by Libby Malin review here
Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman review
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson review here
Divine Justice by David Baldacci review here
Appaloosa by Robert B. Parker review here
1776 by David McCullough review here

Books out of my comfort zone:
A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah review here
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe review here
Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe review here
The Christmas Day Murders by Sheriff J.B. Smith review here
Battle on the Bay by Edward T. Cotham, Jr. review here

Some of my least favorite were:
Heart of Stone by C.E. Murphy review here
I just assumed that I would like this since I like to read urban fantasy. The main character irritated me. I thought I might read another in the series anyway, but so far not so.

Obsessed by Ted Dekker review here
I am a Ted Dekker fan so I was surprised that I found one of his books I didn't like.

The Night Gardner by George Pelecanos review here
I really disliked the end. The book wasn't anything like I thought it would be.

Death Match by Lincoln Child review here
It's not that I disliked this one so much as I got bored in the middle of it.

Cross Country by James Patterson review
It didn't seem like I was reading about Alex Cross.

Why Beulah Shot Her Pistol Inside the Baptist Church by Clayton Sullivan review
I was disappointed in this book.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Congratulations on finishing all of your reading challenges.

Stacy said...

I second Angie...congratulations! The Guernsey book was also one of my favorite reads of the year. For a while, I was going to try to come up with a number one favorite but it was too difficult to decide.