Thursday, December 18, 2008

5 X 4 Self Challenge 2009

FINISHED!!


In all the years I've been reading I've never planned it out. I read books that catch my fancy, that appeal to me from the shelf at the library, bookstore or garage sale, or that friends talk about. I found last year when I joined the 888 challenge I felt.......cornered. It DID help me to broaden my reading to new genres and helped me to see I could enjoy reading them. However, I didn't finish the challenge by 3 books. This year in an effort to widen my reading range but still have lots of room for the books I come across that I want to read, I've created this pared down version, The 5X4 Self Challenge. Four books in each of five categories. These are books I wouldn't normally read or that I want to read and never get around to. That's a quarter of my 100 book reading goal for this year. I'm going to plan the books, but will change if something else comes along that catches my interest. Who knows, I may read more than four in each category. Of course, I already own all these books. The categories I've chosen are:



Classics
1 The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald review here
2 Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe review here
3 Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck review here
4 Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe review here



Non-Fiction
1 Me Talk Pretty Some Day by David Sedaris review here
2 The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson review here
3 The Lost City of Z by David Grann review here
4 The Christmas Day Murders by Sheriff J.B. Smith review here


Books Older Than Me That Are Sitting on My Shelf
1 Kazan The Wolf Dog by James Oliver Curwood review here
2 Brewster's Millions by G. B. McCutcheon review here
3 Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs review here
4 A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith review here


Award Winners
1 The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson (Mcavity Best First Novel)
2 The Time-Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (Booker Prize)
3 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick review here
4 The Killing Floor by Lee Child ( Anthony Award for Best First Novel) review here

Histories
1 1776 by David McCullough review here
2 The Zookeepers Wife by Diane Ackerman review here
3 Battle on the Bay by Edward T. Cotham, Jr. review here
4 The Lost City of Z by David Grann review here

No comments: